15 June 2005

Product Report (1 of 2, MTMU): EP Henry

As part of our ongoing home improvement projects, we’ve decided to enhance our yard area with some landscaping and walkways. Last year I took some time to build an ipé deck, but with this class (and a couple of more scheduled through the end of the year) and other activities requiring quite a bit of my time, we’ve decided to have this work done by a professional.

Because I enjoy working around the yard, I’m actually somewhat disappointed that I won’t be able to tackle this project myself. However, I did take the opportunity to do some research into materials, techniques, tools, etc. that go into such an effort. As I learned more, EP Henry Hardscaping Products kept coming up in all of my conversations and internet searches. EP Henry actually takes credit for coining the term “hardscape” which describes the interlocking pavers used to line residential and commercial walkways, driveways, patios, steps, and retaining walls. Brand equity (Pg. 249*) maybe?

Armed with an awareness of their products (and enough marketing knowledge from my Introduction to Marketing class to be dangerous), I’ve been amazed to see their products used at a variety of locations that I visit during the course of a week. Perhaps it is because EP Henry is a local company, but I think that it goes a bit deeper than that…do a Google search for hardscaping and you’ll find them listed third (Home & Garden TV is #1 and Hoy Landscaping is #2…incidentally, Dan Norton from Hoy is a blogger too). Furthermore, with more than 10 consecutive years of double-digit revenue growth, EP Henry must be doing something right. Sound like solid branding (Pg. 243*) to you?

In reviewing the basic concepts that can be applied to EP Henry, I believe that they truly have a large market. For example, you can make the case that their pavers are a consumer product, specialty product and even an industrial product (Pgs. 235, 236*). In looking through their 2005 Idea Catalog, you get a real sense of the extent of their product line (Pg. 247*). I counted 15 different paving stone styles and 11 different wall systems. Different prices, colors and shapes increase the each product line length.

It’s no surprise that Mark Fuss, vice president for sales and marketing at EP Henry told Daniele Cruz of the Gloucester County Times, “We strive to be the Kleenex of the hardscaping industry.” With that kind of enthusiasm, it’s no wonder they’re doing so well.

*Principles of Marketing, Kotler & Armstrong, 11th Edition

1 Comments:

Blogger Curt said...

I'll update my blog when the project is finished (hopefully sooner rather than later), but so far I've been pleased.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home